“Garden of Eden” Fruit FIGHTS Colon Cancer
A number of things can put you at a higher risk for colon cancer including being overweight, sedentary, a smoker, someone with a family history of the disease, or simply being over 50.
Talk to your mainstream doctor about it and he’ll dole out a ton of dietary rules to reduce your risk.
But even worse, he’ll INSIST you have to ditch many of your favorite foods, including red meat, desserts, and alcohol.
But here’s what they WON’T tell you. There’s another way to SLASH your risk of this deadly disease.
And it just so happens that it starts showing up in stores this time of year.
I’m talking about the delicious pomegranate. This ruby red fruit is what some biblical historians theorize is the “forbidden fruit” that Eve gave Adam in the Garden of Eden, rather than an apple.
A study published in the journal Immunity found that a potent metabolite found in pomegranates called urolithin A could help fight colon cancer.
Researchers say the urolithin improves the function of the body’s own immune cells.
When tumor-fighting immune cells (cytotoxic T cells) are treated with urolithin, they’re transformed into powerful T memory stem cells.
This is key because T memory stem cells are able to DIVIDE. This means they can provide a virtually endless supply of fresh new T cells to your immune system. And that inhibits cancer growth.
While this was a lab study, there’s every reason to be excited about these findings.
Colon cancer suppresses T cells. So having more of them around to battle the cancer is critical. And since urolithin A has been used for years to boost energy levels and fight fatigue, it already has a great safety track record.
More research is needed to confirm pomegranate extract’s exact role in fighting colon cancer. But there’s no reason to hold off on eating more of this delicious fruit NOW.
October through January is peak pomegranate season. So you’ll find them in your local grocery store for the next few month. Plus, pomegranate supplements are available online.
In the meantime, go ahead and take some steps to support better colon health and reduce your risk of cancer.
- Take a Good Probiotic. Probiotics are a must-have for a healthy colon. But their benefits don’t end there. They also support better brain health and improved immune function. They fight inflammation body-wide and even aid in weight loss.
- Identify Food Sensitivities. Because of genes you inherited from your ancestors there are certain foods that agree with your body and others that don’t. I’ve found most people know the foods they should avoid even if they don’t sometimes. And continuing to eat those foods can trigger inflammation, or worse. You can confirm those sensitivities with a simple elimination diet removing one potential offender at a time to see if your health improves.
- Avoid Trans Fats. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned trans fats in the USA in 2018. But, because of the way certain foods are processed, some may still contain a small amount of these unhealthy, cancer-promoting fats. Vegetable shortenings, microwave popcorns, vegetable oils (and the fried fast foods and baked foods made with it) are the most likely culprits.
- Use Medicinal Mushrooms. A variety of mushrooms, including Reishi, Maitake, Shitake, Cordyceps, and Turkey Tail have strong anti-cancer and immune-boosting properties. I’ve used them all in my practice.
- Reduce Inflammation. Long-standing inflammation is associated with colon cancer. A low-inflammation diet could help reduce your risk. That includes avoiding foods you’re sensitive or allergic to, trans fats, ultra-processed foods, and too much added sugar. Certain supplements can also help calm inflammation including fish oil (EPA/DHA), curcumin, and bacopa.
P.S. Japan his known for its low number of colon cancer diagnoses. In fact, it currently has the lowest rate in the world. And it’s all thanks to a miraculous “fish trick” that you can take advantage of too. I’ve got all the details here.
Source: “Expansion of T memory stem cells with superior anti-tumor immunity by Urolithin A-induced mitophagy,” Immunity (2022). DOI: 10.1016/j.immuni.2022.09.014
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
It always puzzles me how anyone thinks we can spray toxic chemicals on our crops and NOT have them affect our health! Because despite what food manufacturers may claim, chemical residues from pesticides and herbicides show up on (and IN) the conventionally grown food we eat. And research makes it clear that these creepy chemicals...
I think you’ll agree that aging should come with some perks. And chief among them is FINALLY having the time to relax and enjoy the retirement you earned. But that’s awfully hard to do if you’re losing your eyesight due to macular degeneration. Instead, your golden years become tarnished by having to focus on learning...
How does that old saying go? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We all know it’s easier to STOP something from happening in the first place than to repair the damage after it’s happened. And with all of its complications, including shortening your lifespan, type 2 diabetes is well worth preventing!...
I’ve had patients make some pretty strange claims about their arthritis. Many folks swear they can “feel a storm coming” in their joints. And I’ve heard this one so often (and had them be spot-on about that storm) that I believe it’s true. Other patients claim their joint pain gets worse when eating tomatoes. And...
If you’re “of a certain age,” I bet you remember that iconic old slogan from the late 70s, “A mind is a terrible thing to waste.” It always springs to mind when I see a sharp person’s memory start to fade away. They soon become unable to make decisions for themselves. Eventually, they even have...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, “Most of my family has been hit with COVID. We’re thinking it’s the latest variant. Are there any extra, new recommendations for protecting yourself against the variant? (Aside from washing your hands?) My husband and I have tested negative so far, but we want to be careful.” –Tammy from Lancaster,...
If you have diabetes, it’s almost certain that your conventional medical doctor put you on a blood sugar-lowering drug. And there’s ALSO a strong possibility that the drug makes you feel terrible. Common side effects include gas, bloating, upset stomach, kidney issues, and fatigue. Even worse, over time, these drugs become less effective. So even...
Okay, I’ll admit it. There have been times I’ve found it tough to maintain an optimistic outlook these last few years. And I’m not alone. Studies show that unhappiness and loneliness are on the rise. That’s TERRIBLE news for our health. Because when you combine the two, it can deliver a devastating blow to your...
It’s the nuttiest time of year. And I’m not just talking about the decorating, shopping, and holiday chaos… I’m literally talking about NUTS. Sure, we eat these tasty treats all year round. But when the holidays approach our nut consumption goes through the roof. We eat more nuts from October through December than any other...
Regular readers know I’m gaga for coffee. My favorite brew is downright delicious, of course. But even better, coffee is packed full of powerful phytochemicals that are natural antioxidants. In other words, coffee helps fight off the free radicals that play a role in heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and more. But I get asked a...