Mailbag! BANISH High Blood Pressure Naturally
I’ve been under a lot of pressure lately and my health is suffering. Do you have anything you can recommend to lower stress and high blood pressure?
–Ricardo from Atlanta, GA
You’re not alone – we’re all stressed out by these crazy times.
And stress, as you’ve correctly noted, can have long-term consequences for our health… especially our blood pressure.
But not in the way most people think.
If you’ve been measuring your blood pressure yourself, you may have noticed that the numbers climb when you’re stressed. But that rise in blood pressure is the result of a temporary increase in hormones like cortisol, and it has no long-term effect on your blood pressure.
What tends to happen, though, is people who are under stress eat worse and reach for alcohol, cigarettes, and other drugs to help calm down. And those actions have a HUGE effect on blood pressure.
So, what can you do to be healthier and keep your blood pressure down?
Let me show you.
- Start with sleep. Anxiety and sleep go hand in hand. Most of us know we feel more anxious when we don’t sleep, but getting enough sleep can be a tough battle. Natural supplements like L-theanine, melatonin, and chamomile can be very effective.
- Calming herbs. I recommend herbs for sleep (like chamomile, hops, and valerian) to people who have anxiety and have found that they work pretty well. Try taking a half-dose of an herbal sleeping formula in the morning and see how it works.
- Exercise. Anxiety and exercise also go hand in hand— exercise reduces anxiety. Find something that works for you that you enjoy. The more you can make exercise fun, the better.
- CoQ10. This antioxidant/enzyme is found throughout our bodies and is used for energy production. Since our heart is one of the most energy-hungry organs in our bodies, it needs CoQ10. CoQ10 has been shown to lower inflammation, reduce blood clots, lower blood pressure and help prevent skipped beats like arrhythmias or atrial fibrillation.
- Potassium. Potassium is needed throughout your body, but especially in your heart. This in one mineral, however, that you need to get through your diet, so make sure you load up on foods like sweet potatoes, bananas, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, and cucumbers.
- Fish oil. The EPA/DHA found in fish oil has been shown to be heart-healthy and help manage blood pressure. Take between one to three grams a day. Studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids like those found in fish oil can reduce heart disease by up to 52 percent. Fish oils work by reducing inflammation and softening up arteries so they stay flexible.
Dr. Scott Olson, ND
P.S. Have a health concern that’s worrying you? Click here to submit your questions and get featured in the weekly mailbag!
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, You’ve probably heard it a million times… worsening vision is just a normal part of aging. But why on Earth should we accept that? It can cost you your ability to drive… and eventually your independence. You know what’s at stake. That’s why you never skip a serving of eye-enhancing...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, I’m sure you can picture what the typical Alzheimer’s patient looks like. This is someone who can’t remember how to get back home. They’ve forgotten the name of a close family member, they frequently misplace things and sometimes – more often than not – they just can’t seem to find...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, It was beginning to look like this COVID-19 thing was wrapping up… and then the Delta variant swept in. Any student of history could tell you that this is exactly what happened in the early 1900s with the Spanish flu. The first wave was bad, but the second wave was...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Parkinson’s disease is a slow progression to stiffness, loss of function, and balance problems. If you listen to mainstream medicine, they will tell you that there’s nothing you can do to stop the slow, steady loss of your mobility. But you should ignore that advice – because there is A...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, I hear people tell me all the time they worry about their heart or their brain… but I’ve almost never had someone tell me they’re worried about their liver. Considering your liver performs more than 500 roles in your body, however, you’d think folks would be more concerned! Clearly you...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If you’re scratching your head and wondering what to do about chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), then you’re not alone. While there can be a lot of pain associated with CFS, it’s the overwhelming exhaustion that people struggle with the most. You’ve probably tried extra-strength coffee, energy drinks, and all sorts...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, You’ve probably heard the legend of King Midas before. He wishes for limitless riches, so the gods grant him the ability turn everything he touches into gold. What if you, too, could have that ability… but with your health? Specifically, your vision. As we age, our bodies begin to fail...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If your loved one suffers from dementia, you know how hard their life can be. The daily struggle with depression and anxiety… their fear of losing even MORE of their memory… the sleepless nights… all add up to a heartbreaking experience (for both of you). As their friend or caregiver,...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, The frightening fact is, one of your body’s most important systems could be under siege right now. It’s not your heart or your brain (though don’t get me wrong—they’re important too). It’s a system that gets your body almost everything it needs to stay healthy. And it’s one YOU NEED...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Pain is no joke, especially for people with chronic conditions. No one likes to be in pain, but those convenient over-the-counter remedies often have horrible side effects. And not only that, they can do lasting damage to your liver, kidneys, and stomach. And the drugs that your mainstream doc gives...