Mailbag! How to Find a Doctor Who Listens
This is the exact reason I went into alternative health.
In my early 20s, I was very sick and mainstream medicine had nothing to offer me. That’s what made me start to second guess if they had all the answers after all.
Then, through a series of happy accidents, I ended up going to a school for natural medicine.
So, let’s get you some help!
The first thing you can do is ask everybody you know if they have a holistic practitioner. Ask your family, friends, and even strangers who look like they’re healthy!
You’d be surprised by all the people in your circle who use natural medicine—it’s not just for “granola” types anymore.
And once you start asking around, you might start hearing a lot of different names like “osteopath” or “naturopath.”
You see, there are a few different types of holistic practitioners, so it’s important to know the difference between them.
Let me show you:
- Osteopathic Doctors (or DO). These doctors attend medical schools with an emphasis on health and adjustments (like chiropractors) but are also licensed and accept insurance, like mainstream doctors. My experience with DOs is that some are very open to natural healing and others are no different than your medical doctor. You can find an osteopathic doctor through the American Osteopathic Association.
- Functional Medicine Doctors. Many natural practitioners and medical doctors practice Functional Medicine. This is a natural medicine that is very science-based and uses both alternative and standard testing to get to the root cause of the disease. You can find practitioners who practice functional medicine here at The Institute for Functional Medicine.
- Naturopathic Doctor (ND). This is the type of doctor I am. NDs attend a very similar standard medical school, only focused on natural healing (though some states allow us to prescribe drugs, do minor surgery, and perform some procedures). NDs are not licensed in every state, but we do practice in most. You can find an ND near you here at the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
- Chiropractors. These practitioners are licensed in every state and are a great resource for natural medicine. One thing to keep in mind: some work almost exclusively on musculoskeletal complaints, and others have a wider practice that focuses on many health issues. Chiropractors are easy to find in almost any area, but you can also check here at the American Chiropractic Association.
- Acupuncturists. They, too, tend to focus on specific complaints or are more holistic. Many are also trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and can recommend herbs and supplements for your treatment as well. They are easy to find in your local area or here at the National Certification for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine website.
With all of these practitioners, ask for a 10-minute consultation and see if they’re a right fit for you.
Soon you’ll be on your way to taking back your health… and finding REAL answers to your complaints.
Dr. Scott Olson, ND
P.S. Have a health concern that’s worrying you? Click here to submit your questions and get featured in the weekly mailbag!
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Parkinson’s disease is a slow progression to stiffness, loss of function, and balance problems. If you listen to mainstream medicine, they will tell you that there’s nothing you can do to stop the slow, steady loss of your mobility. But you should ignore that advice – because there is A...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, I hear people tell me all the time they worry about their heart or their brain… but I’ve almost never had someone tell me they’re worried about their liver. Considering your liver performs more than 500 roles in your body, however, you’d think folks would be more concerned! Clearly you...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If you’re scratching your head and wondering what to do about chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), then you’re not alone. While there can be a lot of pain associated with CFS, it’s the overwhelming exhaustion that people struggle with the most. You’ve probably tried extra-strength coffee, energy drinks, and all sorts...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, You’ve probably heard the legend of King Midas before. He wishes for limitless riches, so the gods grant him the ability turn everything he touches into gold. What if you, too, could have that ability… but with your health? Specifically, your vision. As we age, our bodies begin to fail...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If your loved one suffers from dementia, you know how hard their life can be. The daily struggle with depression and anxiety… their fear of losing even MORE of their memory… the sleepless nights… all add up to a heartbreaking experience (for both of you). As their friend or caregiver,...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, The frightening fact is, one of your body’s most important systems could be under siege right now. It’s not your heart or your brain (though don’t get me wrong—they’re important too). It’s a system that gets your body almost everything it needs to stay healthy. And it’s one YOU NEED...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Pain is no joke, especially for people with chronic conditions. No one likes to be in pain, but those convenient over-the-counter remedies often have horrible side effects. And not only that, they can do lasting damage to your liver, kidneys, and stomach. And the drugs that your mainstream doc gives...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If you have diabetes, you know firsthand how wretched it can be. The constant finger pricks… painful injections… and the pill popping can drive anyone crazy. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Diabetes could be setting you up for deadlier conditions, like heart and kidney disease… or even...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, It’s common knowledge that when it comes to a stroke, timing is everything. But this doesn’t just apply to WHEN you have a stroke… it applies to prevention as well. You see, the clock starts ticking before you even have a stroke… but if you know what to look for,...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Longtime readers know that I’m not a big fan of calcium. In fact, I think it’s one of the most overrated and oversold nutrients out there. And I’m in good company… experts from all over are coming around to the fact that weak bones need more than just calcium. Because...