The REAL Reason for Post-Retirement Depression
Dear Living Well Daily Reader,
If you’re like a lot of seniors I know, you may have retired some years ago.
And most folks look forward to retirement like a kid looking forward to summer vacation.
They can’t wait.
But what if I told you most people are not happy when they retire?
You may have even run into some post-retirement depression yourself.
But the reason for their unhappiness is not what you think.
In fact, the reason may surprise you.
What makes people so unhappy in retirement is their health.
By some estimates, almost 70% of people over 65 suffer from some sort of disability or chronic condition.
What does that mean?
It means that retirees have: arthritis, heart disease, cancer, lung disease, Alzheimer’s (and other dementias), osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity, depression, chronic back pain, macular degeneration, cataracts, or some other disease that limits their ability to live a full life.
Can you climb mountains, go on a cruise, or visit far-flung lands if you have these conditions?
But, is it harder to do what you want when you have these conditions? Yes.
Depending on the severity of these conditions, they can completely block you from having any fun at all. Not to mention, illness makes it hard to play with grandkids, or just go to the store to get groceries.
Your long-awaited departure from work leaves you sitting on the couch, watching television because you are too sick or in too much pain.
No wonder suicide is so high among retirees.
Older adults make up only 12% of the US population, but they account for 18% of all suicide deaths.
I always say, if you don’t want typical results, then don’t be typical. You must make changes now to improve your health in retirement.
Dr. Scott’s Long-Term Health Plan:
- Eat well. This means making sure you are getting enough nutrients from the food that you eat. Typical people don’t eat enough vegetables (which are loaded with healthy vitamins and other nutrients). Avoid processed foods, too much sugar, and too much alcohol.
- Exercise. Most of us would agree that it is hard to set aside enough time to exercise, but, when we do exercise, we feel great. Remember that “I feel great” feeling and get your butt out the door as often as possible. Try walking, swimming, bicycling, or playing a sport like golf.
- Fill in the Gaps. You are never going to get the nutrients you need from the food you are eating (not in our modern world). You need to fill in those nutritional gaps by supplementing to make sure your body has what it needs to thrive.
- Sleep and Stress. There are two things that will destroy your body quicker than anything else: lack of sleep and too much stress. Find a way to deal with these two. There are great natural products like melatonin or L-theanine that can help you reduce stress and sleep through the night – use them if you need them.
- Connect. Find a way to connect to others through church, social events, and volunteer programs. People who are connected live longer.
Health and Happiness,
Dr. Scott Olson
Written By Dr. Scott Olson
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
Dr. Scott Olson tells you the reason behind high blood pressure and the simple changes you can make to fix it.
Dr. Scott Olson provides you with the best advice on how to get a good night’s sleep.
Dr. Scott Olson explains why building muscle is so important and the easy steps you can take to build them up.
Dr. Scott Olson reveals which important vitamin is missing from your body and how, without it, it’s wrecking your health.
Dr. Scott Olson warns you of the prostate cancer signs and how you can best fight it.
Dr. Scott Olson tells you the many ways in which CBD is now curing anxiety.
Dr. Scott Olson explains the risks of high blood pressure and how you can fight it starting today.
Gold Leaf Nutritionals have just developed a breakthrough skin product that is a WRINKLE ERASER!
Dr. Scott Olson reveals the simple, secret ways to get your younger skin back.