This Superfood STOPS Alzheimer’s
It seems like there’s a new “superfood” in the news every week.
And I’ll be honest with you – most of it is just over-hyped nonsense.
But I recently saw something that absolutely blew me away.
There’s a dirt cheap food that actually has the power to stop Alzheimer’s in its tracks.
And it just may save you from a heart attack or stroke, too.
There is a compound in beets called betanin that give them their red color.
But that’s not all betanin does.
Scientists presenting at a recent American Chemical Society (ACS) meeting that found that betanin appears to inhibit certain chemical reactions in the brain that are involved in the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
Basically, betanin helps block the formation of plaques in the brain.
This is a big deal. Brain plaques destroy brain tissue and are the cardinal sign of Alzheimer’s disease.
But beets are great for you in other ways, too.
Beets are a great source of nitrates, which do many amazing things in our bodies like:
- Lower blood pressure (which helps you avoid a heart attack or stroke)
- Increase athletic endurance
- Enhance sexual performance
You can simply eat more beets, but you can also take them as a powder or a supplement.
Since we are talking about helping your brain out though, here are the nutrients your brain needs most:
- Zinc: This mineral is a big part of your immune system, but it also has a huge impact on mental health. Studies have shown zinc helps with mood disorders, depression, and anxiety. You can find zinc in red meat, poultry, beans, and whole grains.
- Omega-3s: I can’t say enough about essential fatty acids EPA/DHA. These are one of the biggest deficiencies in the modern world and almost completely missing from our diets. Studies have shown omega-3 fatty acids are good for your heart, immune system, brain, and blood vessels. I recommend supplementing one to three grams a day.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is known as a bone vitamin, but it is much more than that. There are many studies linking low vitamin D to depression and even mental illness. There are vitamin D receptors in the brain, and they are located near known depression centers. If you live near the equator and spend a good amount of time outside, forget supplementing. Otherwise, make sure you supplement, especially in the winter (but don’t forget you should always take vitamin D with vitamin K).
- B vitamins: Want to guarantee you feel depressed? Make sure you avoid the B vitamins. B vitamins contribute to depression, but also dementia, and poor thinking. B vitamins can be found in beef liver, fish, poultry, eggs, and dairy products. Make sure you are getting enough B12, B6, folate, and biotin.
- Iodine: Iodine is the principle ingredient in thyroid hormone – which is out master regulator of metabolism. Without thyroid hormone, everything slows down (including your brain). Your solution is to eat plenty of seafood, or supplement with iodine.
Health and Happiness,
Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Ed. Note: Please send your feedback: email@example.com – and click here to like us on Facebook.
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
Ease Anxiety with THIS Belly Hack
I’m always encouraging patients to focus on their gastrointestinal health. It’s often overlooked—and well-balanced belly bugs are vital for overall good health. So I’m not surprised that I’ve seen a lot of folks lately who have told me that working on their gut balance has been absolutely LIFE-CHANGING. But it’s NOT in the way you’re...
Is Fish Oil Enough? (What You Might be Missing Out On)
I love talking about the active elements in foods because it highlights the powerful health benefits of those individual ingredients. Take fish oil, for instance. If you search the Living Well Daily archives, you’d likely find THOUSANDS of references to this golden fish extract. Fish oil contains the essential fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and...
The STUNNING Truth About Back Pain
“I feel like I can barely do anything anymore because of my back pain. I’m always taking pain meds. What else can help?” – Ed, Huntsville, AL Hi Ed, Brace yourself. What I’m about to tell you about back pain will no doubt come as a surprise. It might even seem downright unbelievable at first....
FILTHY FACTS About Your Cell Phone
Taking a trip to the bathroom used to be a break from the chaos of daily life. It’s likely at least partially responsible for the nickname restroom. After all, there wasn’t much to do in that room unless you had a magazine to read. But nowadays, for many of us, the restroom is anything BUT...
EAR Test Protects Your BRAIN?
Hearing loss has a habit of sneaking up on folks. Typically, it happens so slowly that you don’t notice it until you’ve lost a SIGNIFICANT amount of hearing. According to the National Institutes of Health, about 8 percent of adults 55 to 64 have disabling hearing loss. That number jumps to 25 percent for people...
Missing "Lucky Penny" Mineral Harms Your Heart
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Some nutrients get all the glory. There are the vitamin A-Listers like C, D, and E. And although minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium might be considered B-List stars, they ALSO get their fair share of attention. But one vital nutrient never gets to walk the red carpet. And that...
Risk of Stroke SURGES 50% Worldwide?!
It’s NOT good news. A recent report by the World Health Organization (WHO), confirmed that the chance of having a stroke has skyrocketed by a whopping 50 percent in the last twenty years. According to the WHO, that means your stroke risk is now about one in four. Next time you’re in a crowd, look...
Is Tofu GOOD for You? (The Truth REVEALED)
I often wonder why so many people are passionate about tofu. There’s something about it that triggers strong emotions. Some folks HATE it, while others LOVE it. But is it good for you? Well, it’s complicated. Tofu is a fermented soy product. It tastes bland alone. But it takes on the taste of whatever you...
Bizarre New Cell Phone Risk (Beware)
I sometimes joke with my (adult) kids. “Do you know,” I ask, “that the PHONE you carry around with you all the time can make phone calls?” They laugh and mumble, “Old,” under their breath. I swear the generations who grew up with a cell phone attached to their palm will do almost anything to...
MAILBAG: Crush COPD Symptoms NATURALLY
“Got any natural treatments for COPD?” – Mike, Ann Arbor, MI Dear Mike, Unfortunately, COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, is a common condition. In fact, it’s now the third leading cause of death in the United States. COPD causes the airways to constrict, making breathing difficult or uncomfortable. Persistent coughing, excess mucus production, wheezing,...