Beat the Heat (No Pricey AC Required!)
Dear Living Well Daily Reader,
Oh, my goodness, has it been hot lately!
I live in Colorado, where it is (thankfully) dry. But that heat still feels like it’s burning through my skull every time I step outside.
Some of us are lucky enough to have air conditioning. But let’s be honest, even that doesn’t always cool us down enough when the temperatures are soaring.
Or maybe, like a lot of folks, you find it costs too much to run it all the time.
And, depending on where you live, you might have to battle the occasional power failure to boot.
That means we ALL could use some ways to stay cool without relying on air conditioning. And that’s exactly what I have for you today. Tips for staying as cool as a cucumber without relying on pricey AC.
Staying cool isn’t just about feeling comfortable. Soaring temperatures can pose a genuine threat to your health too.
Especially for us older folks – we can be in real danger if our body temperature climbs too high.
So let me share some of my favorite tricks for keeping cool with you.
- Stay hydrated: Every built-in system that cools your body uses water to get the job done. The most obvious one is sweat. When you sweat, heat is pulled away from your body, which helps control your body temperature. Staying hydrated is critical to keep that process flowing. It doesn’t matter how you get your water. Just make sure you’re getting at least a liter every day (more if you’re moving around and active).
- Hit the shower: Popping into a cool shower several times a day can really help keep your temperature down. Getting your hair wet when you do will extend the cooling effect (as the water evaporates from your hair, it will cool your head).
- Cold washrags: I keep a wet washrag in the refrigerator and pull it out from time to time to help myself cool down. Put the washrag on the back of your neck or on your wrists for instant relief.
- Box or Ceiling Fans: Getting air moving across your body is one of the best ways to cool down. You notice this effect when you’re outside. Even on a hot day, a breeze will make the heat feel far more manageable. We have one near our kitchen and turn it on every time we use the oven later in the day.
- Close up the House: While it is tempting to leave the windows open, you will stay much cooler if you close up the house during the heat of the day. Wait until the temperature outside drops at night before opening them.
- Block the Sun: Blocking sunlight from entering your house can keep your home much cooler. You can do this by planting trees and bushes to add shade. Closing blinds and curtains during the hottest hours can help too.
- Plan Your Outing: If you have to go out of the house, plan your trip to avoid the hottest time of the day. Also, remember all sorts of public spaces (like malls, grocery stores, and movie theaters) have air conditioning, so make them destination spots. Get out of your house from 2pm to 8pm and enjoy the coolness on someone else’s dime.
- Cotton Sheets: While high thread count sheets are nice, simple low thread count, cotton sheets are much cooler.
- Head to the Basement: If you have a basement, use it. You can even sleep there if you have an extra bed or comfortable couch.
- Cook in the Morning: Nothing heats up a house faster in the evening than using the oven. Plan for this by making dinner first thing in the morning and quickly heating it up in the evening if needed.
You can’t do anything about the sweltering heat outside. But when you combine a few of these tricks, you can outsmart the sunshine and stay cool all day and night long… no air conditioning required.
P.S. Boiling temperatures aren’t the ONLY summertime hazard you need to be aware of. Don’t let THIS hot weather danger torch YOUR health.
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, “Weight-loss month” is nearly over. If you resolved to lose weight this year, I’m betting you started off January strong. But, if you’re like many of folks, those efforts are beginning to fade. Many of us make the mistake of coming on too strong at the beginning of January, so...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Coffee has been the victim of a misinformation campaign for decades. The idea that java juice could be bad for your health began to bubble up around the turn of the 20th century. Folks checking into sanatoriums for burnout and other mental health issues were counseled that all “stimulants,” including...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, The message has been received loud and clear: “Fat is BAD!” Conventional medicine has been preaching the anti-fat message for decades now. We’ve been told we should avoid it… That eating “too much” fat will make US fat… And that fat on our bodies triggers disease and death… Here’s the...
One day, we’ll look back at our discovery of the nervous system in our guts in much the same way as other giant leaps in medicine like germ theory, vaccinations, and antibiotics. Knowing it exists and how important it is has changed EVERYTHING. We now understand that the enteric nervous system, or our “second brain”...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, One thing no one ever thinks to warn you about a cancer diagnosis is the RUSH. While you’re still trying to process the news that you have cancer, you’re already asked to make decisions about your treatments. You’re told there’s no time to waste. And warned delays could lead to...
“I’m diabetic and I don’t quite understand the differences in sugar. There’s sugar you make cookies with but also fruits have sugar. Can I have fruits even though they have sugar too?” – Annette, from Helen, GA Hi Annette, For something that seems so simple, sugar sure gets complicated very quickly. That table sugar you...
I’m not going to pull any punches here. Getting a prostate cancer diagnosis is downright terrifying. And that’s especially true because for YEARS there weren’t any remarkable advancements in the treatments for this cancer. Watchful waiting (active surveillance) was the best we could do for men with small tumors that didn’t appear aggressive. And for...
We’ve lived with COVID-19 for nearly three years now. That means we KNOW what it looks like, right? Wrong. The dominant COVID strain infecting people today doesn’t look exactly like the one that infected people last year. The virus is constantly changing. And so are the symptoms when you catch it. Different COVID strains appear...
My excellent editor told me the other day that she gave in and took some naproxen for her psoriatic arthritis pain. And she’s not alone. Occasionally even people who are passionate about natural medicine turn to over-the-counter or prescription drugs for pain relief. After all, joint pain can be downright debilitating. But before you reach...
People ask me all the time what I think about meat substitutes. My reply is simple: “They’re junk!” The labels claim that these fake meats are better for your health and the environment. But nothing could be further from the truth… If you’re a regular Living Well Daily reader, you know I’m constantly warning you...