Beat the Heat (No Pricey AC Required!)
Dear Living Well Daily Reader,
Oh, my goodness, has it been hot lately!
I live in Colorado, where it is (thankfully) dry. But that heat still feels like it’s burning through my skull every time I step outside.
Some of us are lucky enough to have air conditioning. But let’s be honest, even that doesn’t always cool us down enough when the temperatures are soaring.
Or maybe, like a lot of folks, you find it costs too much to run it all the time.
And, depending on where you live, you might have to battle the occasional power failure to boot.
That means we ALL could use some ways to stay cool without relying on air conditioning. And that’s exactly what I have for you today. Tips for staying as cool as a cucumber without relying on pricey AC.
Staying cool isn’t just about feeling comfortable. Soaring temperatures can pose a genuine threat to your health too.
Especially for us older folks – we can be in real danger if our body temperature climbs too high.
So let me share some of my favorite tricks for keeping cool with you.
- Stay hydrated: Every built-in system that cools your body uses water to get the job done. The most obvious one is sweat. When you sweat, heat is pulled away from your body, which helps control your body temperature. Staying hydrated is critical to keep that process flowing. It doesn’t matter how you get your water. Just make sure you’re getting at least a liter every day (more if you’re moving around and active).
- Hit the shower: Popping into a cool shower several times a day can really help keep your temperature down. Getting your hair wet when you do will extend the cooling effect (as the water evaporates from your hair, it will cool your head).
- Cold washrags: I keep a wet washrag in the refrigerator and pull it out from time to time to help myself cool down. Put the washrag on the back of your neck or on your wrists for instant relief.
- Box or Ceiling Fans: Getting air moving across your body is one of the best ways to cool down. You notice this effect when you’re outside. Even on a hot day, a breeze will make the heat feel far more manageable. We have one near our kitchen and turn it on every time we use the oven later in the day.
- Close up the House: While it is tempting to leave the windows open, you will stay much cooler if you close up the house during the heat of the day. Wait until the temperature outside drops at night before opening them.
- Block the Sun: Blocking sunlight from entering your house can keep your home much cooler. You can do this by planting trees and bushes to add shade. Closing blinds and curtains during the hottest hours can help too.
- Plan Your Outing: If you have to go out of the house, plan your trip to avoid the hottest time of the day. Also, remember all sorts of public spaces (like malls, grocery stores, and movie theaters) have air conditioning, so make them destination spots. Get out of your house from 2pm to 8pm and enjoy the coolness on someone else’s dime.
- Cotton Sheets: While high thread count sheets are nice, simple low thread count, cotton sheets are much cooler.
- Head to the Basement: If you have a basement, use it. You can even sleep there if you have an extra bed or comfortable couch.
- Cook in the Morning: Nothing heats up a house faster in the evening than using the oven. Plan for this by making dinner first thing in the morning and quickly heating it up in the evening if needed.
You can’t do anything about the sweltering heat outside. But when you combine a few of these tricks, you can outsmart the sunshine and stay cool all day and night long… no air conditioning required.
P.S. Boiling temperatures aren’t the ONLY summertime hazard you need to be aware of. Don’t let THIS hot weather danger torch YOUR health.
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
I often write about oral health. And there’s a good reason for that. No, it’s not that I’m obsessed with everyone having a perfectly shiny set of pearly whites. I focus on oral care for an entirely DIFFERENT reason. It’s because what goes on in your mouth has a surprisingly large impact on your overall...
I bet you do your best to AVOID unnecessary antibiotics. After all, the overuse of these lifesaving drugs has led to antibiotic resistance. And the result is the emergence of superbugs that can cause dangerous (and even DEADLY) infections that resist all conventional medicines. But what if I told you that you were being force-fed...
You’re not alone if you feel overwhelmed by the thought of adding exercise to your already-packed agenda. In fact, many folks get exhausted just thinking about working out. But if this is you, know that getting fit doesn’t HAVE to feel that way. You can get the benefit of workouts WITHOUT the worry. Here’s how…...
Experts estimate that in 2024 alone, 611,720 Americans will die from colon cancer. That’s around 1680 souls lost a day. And your risk rises with age. That makes now… BEFORE you or a loved one gets sideswiped with an unexpected diagnosis… the time to think about this deadly disease. After all, one thing no one...
“My joints, especially my knees, have been hurting more. What can I do? It’s keeping me from moving a lot.” – Barbara Hi Barbara, It may seem counterintuitive, but carefully chosen exercise could be precisely “what the doctor ordered” to soothe chronic knee pain. Studies show the right activities can EASE the ache, allowing you...
No one expects to develop a foot ulcer. That goes without saying. But if you have diabetes, the odds that you will are higher than you might expect. In fact, 60 percent of diabetics will develop neuropathy in their feet, eventually leading to one. However, poor glycemic control isn’t the only trigger for foot ulcers....
It’s only natural to avoid moving when you’re in pain. We’ve all been there, gritting our teeth and doing our best to remain still. After all, the last thing you want to do is make the pain WORSE. But this is one time when following your instincts could be a BIG mistake. It could take...
A stroll through the park or doing some gardening are enjoyable pastimes for many of us. Unfortunately, they’re ones we often don’t get to do nearly enough. But new research reveals why you should MAKE TIME for these nature-based hobbies. Because, it turns out, as you age your HEALTH could depend on it. Here’s why…...
Keeping your mind sharp as you age is a priority. If you’ve been following my suggestions, you may already be taking steps to protect your brain. And that’s fantastic! Things like taking certain supplements, walking regularly, prioritizing quality sleep, doing challenging crossword puzzles, and playing brain-stimulating games can INDEED support brain health and help head...
Before leaving on a trip recently my daughter was feeling a bit under the weather. She was worried she might be getting sick and asked how to recover more quickly from a cold. I explained that there’s still no cure for the common cold. But, certain foods and self-care practices CAN ease symptoms and shorten...