Colon Cancer Warning Signs? Check Your Toilet
No one likes to talk about poop.
Well, unless you are a four-year-old (and that’s all they want to talk about).
Most adults are embarrassed and uncomfortable when talking about it.
But poop is important because it can tell us a lot about our digestive health and (sometimes) point to certain conditions, like cancer.
So, let’s do the unthinkable: talk about poop and see if you should worry.
Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in the United States, with the percent of colorectal cancer deaths highest among people aged 75-84.
If you are normal, you have times when your bowel movements are great and other times they are loose, or you are constipated.
There are four symptoms you should look out for if you are concerned about colon cancer.
- Bleeding: Bright red blood comes from hemorrhoids and can be unsettling, but (usually) not harmful. The blood you worry about comes from up higher. This blood can be hard to observe, it usually appears as very dark stools, or has a coffee grounds look.
- Change in bowel habits: Once again, change in stool texture is normal, but if you have weeks of looser stools, or you must go to the bathroom more often, then you should consider going to the doctor.
- Fatigue: If you look white or pale, this could be a lack of iron from bleeding.
- Weight loss: Especially unexplained weight loss (you haven’t changed anything).
If any of these signs show up, then you should visit your doctor for a thorough exam.
But let’s talk about how to keep your digestive tract as healthy as possible.
Dr. Scott’s Good Gut Health Program:
- Probiotics are your easiest path to a healthy digestive system. I prefer a probiotic product that contains a fiber prebiotic along with good bacteria (probiotics).
- Eat enough fiber to help with regular bowel movements, but to also help stimulate healthy bacterial growth. I always suggest that people take both water soluble and water insoluble fiber. One of my favorite fibers is ground flax seeds.
- Throw away junk food, trans fats, processed, and chemical foods. All processed foods, trans fatty acids, artificial sweeteners, and alcohol harm the microbiome. Do what you can to limit these non-foods in your diet.
- Exercise doesn’t seem like the first place you would turn to help your digestive tract, but it has been shown to help encourage a healthy microbiome.
Health and Happiness,
Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
I have arthritis in my spine. What would you suggest to help manage it? –George from Cedar Rapids, IA George, Believe it or not, many people learn that they have spinal arthritis as they age. It’s very common. There’s a lot you can do to help keep it from advancing or even reverse some of...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, There is a plague of anxiety sweeping the nation. And who could blame us? Anyone with half a brain SHOULD feel anxious about the state of the world. But like any other epidemic, just because something is going around doesn’t mean you should accept it. More importantly, having anxiety does...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If you or someone you love suffers from multiple sclerosis (MS), you already know how the disease can turn your life upside down. The stiffness and mobility problems slowly strip away your independence… and leave you in pain. Talk to your mainstream doc and he’ll just shrug their shoulders –...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If you’re a woman, chances are you have heard about the BRCA gene (BReast CAncer gene). Scientists have known for a long time that a mutation in one of two breast cancer genes, BRCA1 or BRCA2, increases the risk of getting breast cancer. But, men, listen up – just because...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Some people might shrug when you tell them you have knee pain… but that’s only if they haven’t experienced firsthand. Chronic pain from osteoarthritis is no joke— it can destroy your life. Joint pain makes moving incredibly difficult and can keep you from doing the things you love. Before you know it,...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Inflammation is supposed to be a normal response for your body. It’s one of the key defenses protecting you. Inflammation can sometimes be our friend… when it helps fight off infections and clears away debris, that is. The problems start when inflammation blazes out of control or lasts longer than...
I have psoriasis, and I was wondering what supplements or natural treatments there are out there. –Bill from Riverside, CA Bill, As you probably know, psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease where the body attacks the skin as if it were a foreign invader. Psoriasis affects about two percent of the U.S. population. Normal, healthy...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, I’m on a personal mission to rescue coffee from the hands of the nutritional puritans who think that anything fun is not good for you. Despite what the mainstream would have you believe, the news on coffee has improved in recent years. Researchers have pinpointed many powerful plant nutrients, like...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, Some suggest pretty complicated ways to keep your brain healthy as you age. Going back to college… doing complicated puzzles… taking what feels like 30 bottles of pills a day… It can make you feel like giving up before you’ve even started! But what if there was something MUCH easier...
Dear Living Well Daily Reader, If you’re tired constantly refilling pain prescriptions, you’re not alone. And if you’re even MORE tired of the side effects that come with them, who could blame you? For far too long, Big Pharma has held arthritis patients hostage… promising relief while they rob you blind. It’s time for something...