[Warning] Fad Diet Causing Depression
If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me which diet is best…
Well, I’d be eating nickel soup in a recliner made of nickels.
I’m sure you’ve had friends or family members try to convince you of the health benefits of becoming a vegetarian.
It’s become a fad – not just among young people, but among some seniors as well.
But I’ve been warning patients away from a vegetarian lifestyle for years, because I believe it’s truly dangerous for your physical health.
And it turns out it’s pretty bad for your mental health, too.
A new study published in the Journal of Affective Disorders Nutritional Neurosciences, at the National Institute of Health found out that vegetarians are more depressed than the average person.
In fact, vegetarians were twice as likely to be depressed than people who ate a wide variety of food.
They also found that people were more depressed the longer they were vegetarians.
There are three reasons for this:
- The first is the lack of certain vitamins in vegetarian diets, especially vitamin B12. Despite the many articles I’ve seen saying that vegetarians can get enough B12, it just isn’t happening in the real world. The people who were depressed also had low vitamin B12.
- The second is lack of EPA/DHA. This essential fatty acid found in fish oil is low in most of the population (unless they are supplementing) and it is extremely low in vegetarians.
- The last is low iron. There is almost no good source of iron outside of meat (especially red meat). Iron plays many roles in the body, but is essential for good brain function.
And… as crazy as this sounds, I find vegetarians to be low in phytonutrients (plant nutrients). Most vegetarians I see eat mostly grains and beans, but forget they need vegetables, too.
Let’s not stop there, though. To keep a brain happy and depression-free, you need a few more things.
Dr. Scott’s List for a Happy Brain:
- Creatine is an amino acid which is good for the brain and helps support energy production.
- Omega 3 fish oil is an essential fatty acid your brain needs to support its function and protect against oxidation.
- CoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant and helps to provide energy throughout the body.
- Antioxidants can be vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin C, but I especially like the phytonutrients (polyphenols, carotenes…) found in superfood combinations.
- Herbs such as curcumin and bacopa work to decrease inflammation and act as powerful antioxidants.
These supplements are all widely available online or at just about any vitamin shop.
I don’t recommend following a vegetarian diet. But if you (or someone you love) insists on eating vegetarian, make sure they supplement to make up for the nutrients they are missing.
Health and Happiness,
Dr. Scott Olson
Written By Dr. Scott Olson
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
Dr. Scott Olson exposes the most deadly diseases men tend to ignore and their warning signs.
Dr. Scott Olson explains how fixing your gut health can fix your heart problems in no time!
Dr. Scott Olson informs you about the little seed that makes a big change when it comes to fighting prostate cancer.
Dr. Scott Olson provides you with the simple solutions to clearing up cloudy eyes and giving you perfect vision.
Dr. Scott Olson reveals the secret trick to unlocking a beautiful head of hair. And it starts with you!
Dr. Scott Olson reveals the cancer “cures” that are causing far more harm than good.
Dr. Scott Olson reveals the simple secret to losing weight as you age.
Dr. Scott Olson explains the real reason you have brain fog and how you can banish it forever.
Dr. Scott Olson reveals the miracle oil that erases pain and adds tons of other health benefits to your life.