7 Things KILLING Your Energy
Ken was sitting in my office… and he looked TERRIBLE.
He told me he felt exhausted all the time, and didn’t have the energy to do anything.
So I did what I always do…
I asked Ken to walk me through a typical day in his life, with as much detail as possible.
By the time he was done, I’d spotted seven things that were killing his energy levels.
These “Sinister 7” are probably destroying your energy reserves, too – here’s what you can do about it.
There are many things we do every day that zap our energy:
1. Coffee: That cup of coffee certainly gives you energy, but that energy has to come from somewhere. You will feel tired later on. Even worse, if you’re drinking it later in the day, you disrupt your sleep cycle and that reduces how long you will sleep and the quality of sleep. The key? Don’t drink coffee six hours before going to bed.
2. Multitasking: Maybe you pride yourself on getting a lot done in a short period of time. But science has found that focusing on just one thing at a time helps to keep you alert and less tired.
3. Dehydration: You probably don’t drink enough water. Scientists at the University of Connecticut found even slight dehydration can sink your energy. The reason is a bit unclear, but it has been shown there is a close relationship between hydration and energy. If you are using coffee as a pickup, make sure you drink one extra water for each cup of coffee to prevent dehydration.
4. Smart phone/Computer/Television: Screens emit a blue light which interrupts your normal circadian rhythms (your sleep/wake cycle) and it drops your natural production of melatonin. All of this leads to less REM (deep) sleep. Try putting away all screens at least an hour before going to bed.
5. Exercise routine: Exercising doesn’t zap your energy – but not exercising does. When you feel low energy, the last thing you want to do is go exercise, but studies have shown that exercise helps increase energy later in the day. Even simple walking can increase a person’s energy by as much as 20%. Increased blood flow and oxygen help you feel energized.
6. Drinking alcohol: Alcohol is well known to help you fall asleep, but then wake you up later. It messes (once again) with your normal sleep cycle. Avoid drinks later in the day.
7. Staying inside: Lack of sunlight and vitamin D can destroy your good sleep and energy in general. Plus, the air inside is not as good as the air outside.
Ken was doing pretty much all of these things. No wonder he felt tired.
I told Ken to follow my anti-fatigue plan.
Dr. Scott’s Anti-Fatigue Protocol:
- Hydrate: Make sure you are drinking mostly water all day long. It’s okay to drink coffee in the morning, but avoid it in the afternoon. Stay away from all sugary drinks (including fruit juice).
- Quality nutrients: Most of us don’t get the nutrients our bodies need. For fatigue, focus especially on B vitamins, CoQ10, and other nutrients for mitochondrial support (alpha lipoic acid, astaxanthin, selenium, and vitamin E).
- Regular exercise: Find some exercise you like to do and do it every day.
- Good sleeping habits: If you have problems sleeping, reach for calming herbs such as passionflower, chamomile, hops, and the sleep hormone, melatonin.
- Drugs: Avoid tobacco, alcohol and other illicit drugs. Work with your doctor to get off of prescription drugs that make you tired.
Health and Happiness,
Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Written By Dr. Scott Olson, ND
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
I spent an hour cleaning my desk before sitting down to write this week’s articles. It’s incredible how having some order clears your mind and lifts your mood. In fact, the stress-relieving benefits of decluttering have even been studied… When a group of researchers asked women how messy they thought their homes were, the ones...
When someone you love is battling Alzheimer’s, it’s heartbreaking. You want to do everything possible to ensure they live the happiest and most fulfilled life possible. And yet, all too often, you’re left feeling helpless in the face of overwhelming symptoms that threaten to destroy their quality of life. One of the MOST disturbing for...
“Why does chemo also destroy good cells?” Martha from Kansas City, MO Hi Martha, We tend to think of “chemotherapy” as a single treatment. But the truth is, there are various types of chemotherapies. And they work in different ways. In general, chemotherapy destroys healthy cells, not just the cancerous ones, because it’s a non-specific or...
Ginseng is the very definition of an “ancient cure.” In fact, you can find the potent herb mentioned in 2,000-year-old Chinese books as a treatment for a wide range of illnesses. But what’s made ginseng stand the test of time… remaining nearly as popular TODAY as it was hundreds of years ago… is its apparent...
After every meal, millions of Americans pop a pill. Folks are convinced that proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as Prilosec or Nexium are necessary to head off heartburn. But what these drugs REALLY do is liable to shock you. To begin with, they block your body from properly digesting your food. But that’s just the...
Once you pass a certain age, the medical ads start haunting you. You find them shoved into your mailbox. Then they show up in your email. And you even start spotting them hovering in the corner of every website you visit. It seems EVERYONE is trying to sell you a drug to relieve your arthritis...
Our healthcare system has a fatal flaw. It’s set up to react to illness, NOT prevent it. So, doctors are stuck in a losing game of whack-a-mole. They spend all their energy and time scrambling to knock down symptoms. That means prescriptions for preventative care are virtually nonexistent. And that’s certainly the case with memory...
I was in a small grocery store in the mountains recently, and noticed that they had bone broth for sale. I thought, “Wow, we’ve come a long way!” And that’s a good thing. Here’s why… Bone broth used to be nearly impossible to find in modern-day grocery stores. But to eke out as much nutritional...
You can’t turn on the T.V. or flip through a newspaper anymore without seeing a new drug breakthrough they claim will FINALLY rid humanity of our aging brain issues. These medicines hit the market promising miracles. But it typically isn’t long before we start seeing their dark side. Meanwhile, a safe, natural remedy to boost...
“We’ve unfortunately had to put my 90-year-old mother in a home. I’m so worried she’s going to get sick (especially with COVID still around). Is there anything I can do to help protect her?” Sam from Prattville, AL Hi Sam, Your situation sounds familiar. My father is in a senior living center with about 300...