This Oral Disease Wreaks Havoc on Your Health!
Most people don’t think much about their gums.
Because when it comes to your oral hygiene your teeth usually take the spotlight. But even though your pearly whites might be front and center, the gums in the back drop are just as important.
See, your gums are often times an early warning sign for a very serious disease.
And the reality is, even if you do everything right – brush, mouthwash, floss – you could still be at risk.
Here’s what you need to know.
Periodontitis is a gum infection that starts out just attacking your gums (at that stage it is just called gingivitis).
But then it progresses UNDER your teeth and can destroy the ligaments and bone that hold your teeth in place!
There are a few red flags that you should be aware of when it comes to periodontitis:
- Bleeding gums: if your gums bleed easily, especially if they bleed when you are just brushing or flossing – this is one of the early signs of gum disease.
Gums pulled away from teeth: walk up to a mirror and smile. Take a look at the base of your teeth – if your gums look like they are getting smaller and pulling away from your teeth, this is a warning sign.
- Swollen gums: redness in your gums, or if they feel swollen and tender, this is a sign of gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Bad breath: everyone has bad breath from time to time, but if it is constant, this is a sign of poor gum health. Most people can’t notice their own breath. Ask someone close to you.
- Pus in between teeth: if you find pus between your teeth, it is time to see the dentists. Right now.
Bad gum health (gingivitis, periodontitis) has been linked to all sort of diseases: including heart disease, gut disease, and overall body inflammation.
But there is help!
According to a new study, published in Lipids in Health and Disease, the research team combined a group of studies and found that Omega 3 fatty acids (EPA – eicosapentaenoic acid and DHA – docosahexaenoic acid, better known as fish oil) can greatly help periodontitis.
The people in the studies only took 180 mg EPA and 120 mg DHA a day (a tiny amount).
If gum disease gets worse, it can lead to loss of teeth – so it is something to pay attention to. If you really want to avoid periodontitis, try the following.
Dr. Scott’s Gingivitis Protocol:
- Stop the Sugar: if you need another reason to stop sugar, here it is. The bacteria in your mouth explode after you eat something sugary. During that explosion, bacteria build plaques (that film you feel on your teeth). The more plaque-building bacteria do, the more likely they will make a home under your gums (eventually leading to periodontitis).
- Salt Water Rinse: doctors used to recommend salt-water rinses for many conditions (sore throat…). I think that they are a great idea – many bacteria cannot survive under salty conditions. Brush your teeth with salt is another good way to fight gingivitis.
- Tea Tree Oil Rinse: Tea tree is a great antibiotic. There are mouthwashes with tea tree oil in them I recommend for people with gingivitis (don’t use the strait oil – it can be too harsh). They also make toothpaste with tea tree as an ingredient. You can use oregano oil the same way.
- Olive Leaf Extract: Look for olive leaf in a mouthwash or toothpaste, but I also recommend taking it internally as well.
P.S. Gum disease is no joke. It uncorks a whole slew of health issues you definitely don’t want. Find out what else can happen if gum disease gets out of control… and the warning signs you need to look for here.
Written By Dr. Scott Olson
Nearly 25 years ago, failed mainstream medical treatments left Dr. Olson in constant pain – and his health in ruins. And that’s when he did something REVOLUTIONARY. He began his career in medicine – and dedicated his life to uncovering the true, underlying causes of disease.
Through his innovative medical practices in Tennessee and Colorado, Dr. Olson has helped cure countless seniors from across America of arthritis… heart disease… diabetes… and even cancer. All without risky prescription drugs or painful surgeries.
View More Free Articles
Dear Reader, It’s hard enough to get a good night’s sleep – even good during good times! But with all the news, politics, and the ongoing coronavirus… it is downright impossible to get your forty winks. You might even find yourself tempted to grab an over the counter sleep aid. But before you go buying one of these drugs that are riddled with side...
Dear Reader, You make an appointment at your doctor’s office (which, let’s be honest, is no small feat in an “Era of Infection”). You pass the temperature and the pandemic questions with flying colors. You brave the waiting area, where any number of people might be infected and breathing viruses into the air… Everything inside the exam room goes as planned. But there’s something all-too-common that could be happening when you leave – something you don’t expect....
Dear Reader, Overall, you try to eat healthy, do well for yourself, and even exercise. Maybe you even think about your heart health when you’re choosing food at a restaurant or the grocery store. You try to get your fruits and veggies, order diet drinks instead of full-calorie sodas, skip the dessert on most occasions (we all have to splurge sometimes!), and focus on lean meats and whole...
Dear Reader, Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia in the world. You’ve probably heard that this degenerative brain epidemic is caused by a buildup of harmful plaque in the brain. That much we know. But why that plaque builds up in the first place is a source of heated debates in the medical community. And now a new study suggests a key player...
Dear Reader, It’s Thanksgiving. And while we’ve been living in some strange times, I hope you’re able to safely spend some time with your loved ones. Incredibly enough, we’re cruising right into the holiday season. And while it’s a time of joy, thankfulness and family, many people also feel something else… Stress. While we may not...
Dear Reader, When you think of air pollution, the typical culprits come to mind… Automobile exhaust, factory fumes, cigarette smoke… But have you ever considered one that’s hiding in your own home? In fact, it could be in your house right now. Here are the facts… Maybe you are like my wife; whenever we have friends over, or when she wants to relax, she lights a candle. She’s not...
Dear Reader, If you’re over 50 I’m willing to bet there’s always one thing on your mind whenever you think about your health: Your heart. And with good reason. Your heart is your body’s no. 1 life source. Each pump keeps everything working smoothly. Which is even more reason why it’s crucial to keep it as...
Dear Reader, For decades, Big Pharma has been pouring millions into Alzheimer’s research. And there hasn’t been a whole lot to show for it. Sure, they’ve figured out that this devastating disease is caused by amyloid beta and tau proteins that attack your brain. But none of their pricey, risky drugs can stop them from growing. ...
We all know that processed food is bad for us. The mountains of refined sugar and cheap salt can make you gain weight… mess with your heart… and even impact your brain. Now, it looks like these foods could be doing even more damage to your body. Because researchers have found that a popular ingredient...
Dear Reader, If you’ve ever dealt with the pain of a kidney stone before, you know they’re no joke. So, when a good friend of mine had to repeatedly take their 15-year old son to the emergency room for kidney stones, you can imagine how concerned we all were. Aside from the fact that, kidney stones are...